Nysmith Academic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Nysmith Academic Forum

An academic forum for the Nysmith community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Handshakes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BhandarkarA

BhandarkarA

Handshakes Empty
PostSubject: Handshakes   Handshakes EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:00 pm

A. There are 3 people in a room. Assuming each person is equally polite and shakes hands with every other person only once, how many handshakes occur? (Note: you obviously don't shake hands with yourself.)

B. There are 16 people in a room. Assuming each person is equally polite and shakes hands with every other person only once, how many handshakes occur? (Note: you obviously don't shake hands with yourself.)

C. There are n people in a room. Assuming each person is equally polite and shakes hands with every other person only once, how many handshakes occur? (Note: you obviously don't shake hands with yourself.)
Back to top Go down
AK_Kadaveru

Handshakes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Handshakes   Handshakes EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm

My answer to A, was 3. The 1st shakes the 2nd and 3rd person which is 2 handshakes. The 2nd person already shook hands with the 1st person so he shakes hands with the 3rd person. The 3rd person already shook hands with everyone so the answer is 3.

My answer to B, is 120. The 1st person shakes hands with everyone but himself. The 2nd
person shakes hands with everybody but the 1st and himself. The pattern keeps on going, everybody shaking hands with everybody but themselves and the people before them. So the answer is
15 (made by the 1st person) + 14 + 13 + 12 + 11+ 10+9+8+7+6+5+4+3+2+1+0 (the 16th
guy shook hands with everybody allready.) so the answer is 120.

My answer to C, is [n(n-1)]/2, Everybody shakes hands with everybody but themselves, but if you count it like that, you are counting double the times (you are saying, the Nth person shaking hands with the Kth person is different from the Kth person shaking hands with the Nth person. so it is [N(N-1)]/2
Back to top Go down

Handshakes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Nysmith Academic Forum :: Maths-
Jump to: