Nysmith Academic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Nysmith Academic Forum

An academic forum for the Nysmith community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Online Competition I

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BhandarkarA

BhandarkarA

Online Competition I Empty
PostSubject: Online Competition I   Online Competition I EmptySun Oct 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Hello,

This is part I of a series of online competitions. Please complete the test in 10 minutes and refrain from use of any external sources. The file contains all necessary instructions. Click to print out the maths test

Submit your answers via email to archisb@hotmail.com

To participate reply with "I join" in this thread topic. One week after the contest starts, results will be posted.
Back to top Go down
BhandarkarA

BhandarkarA

PostSubject: Re: Online Competition I   Online Competition I EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:35 pm

There are prizes of medals and participation certificates now. Smile

Last edited by BhandarkarA on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BhandarkarA

BhandarkarA

PostSubject: Re: Online Competition I   Online Competition I EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 2:59 pm

Online Competition I Trophy
No more entries please. However, we would like to thank the response of the many dedicated maths students. Right now the competition council is slowly refining the tests upon a weekly basis so that the final October competition will be the best it can be.

These are the top three rankings for the competition:

1. Pooja C. (7th grade) with 8/8
2. Sreya A. (7th grade) with 7/8
3. Akhil W. (6th grade) and Akshaj K. (4th grade) with 6/8

Congratulations! Please meet me in the hallways to receive your medal of academic recognition.

Problem solutions to be posted here:

Last edited by BhandarkarA on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
BhandarkarA

BhandarkarA

PostSubject: Re: Online Competition I   Online Competition I EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Online Competition I Trophy
Quick Problem Solutions:
The goal of the competition was to provide methods to tackle difficult problems within the time limit of 10 minutes.

1. Question was voided, as it should read two straight lines.

2. Set the side length as s to achieve the following equation:
s^3= 6s^2
Divide the two sides by s^2 to get s=6

3. Amar, Akbar, Anthony, and John can stand in a straight line in 4*3*2*1= 4!= 24 ways. And of course, there is only one way to stand in alphabetical order. Thus the probability that they do so is 1/24.

4. Use the quadratic formula and add (-b+sqrt{b^2-4ac})/(2a) and (-b-sqrt{b^2-4ac})/(2a). This simplifies to -2b/2a, and finally to -b/a.

5. Half the surface area can be directly noted as 2pi(r^2) plus the bottom circle. Thus we whould have 2pi(r^2)+pi(r^2). Through plugging in the radius as 6, we get 108pi

6. The rectangle with the greatest area given a certain perimeter is a square. (See if you can prove it algebraically by replying here) The side length would be 20/4 for 5. 5^2 is equal to 25 square units.

7. Whenever dividing by zero an equation is undefined. Thus we are looking for when x^2-1=0. This is true for both 1 and -1.

8. Typo: "should read rectangular prism" This is simply 3*4*5= 60 centimeters cubed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Online Competition I   Online Competition I Empty

Back to top Go down

Online Competition I
Page 1 of 1