Nysmith Academic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Nysmith Academic Forum

An academic forum for the Nysmith community

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Discussion: World War II

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BhandarkarA

BhandarkarA

Discussion: World War II Empty
PostSubject: Discussion: World War II   Discussion: World War II EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 7:14 pm

Social Studies Discussion

During WWII, were the Hiroshima and Nagasaki nuclear bombings justifed or no? State your opinion clearly and be ready to debate.
Back to top Go down
fremlinc

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: World War II   Discussion: World War II EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:05 am

Ok I like debates

I think we should have because it set America up as a world power and started M.A.D. in the world, Mutualy Assured Destruction. Since everyones destruction is practically guranteed if some one fires a nuclear war head no one is willing to fight a war. In the long run I think it has actually saved more lives because now there are less wars and therefor less casualties.
Back to top Go down
BhandarkarA

BhandarkarA

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: World War II   Discussion: World War II EmptySat Oct 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Straying from it being justified, would you think the use of the nuclear bomb as the best strategy in that situation or no? Could another tactic have been used? (Anyone can answer to any of these questions.)
Back to top Go down
BradfordC

PostSubject: World War II   Discussion: World War II EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 7:32 pm

I think that it was a good strategy. It sent two clear messages. One, it told other countries that we were not afraid to protect ourselves and our allies at all cost. Second, it told us that we should never do this again. Once is enough for a nuclear bomb. The horrifying images of people almost literally evaporating because of the radiation and heat was so moving that was like a firefighter's demonstration, except in real life (you know, when they purposefully fill the gas tank wrong and the car lights on fire or something like that - the message being not to do this). It was drastic, but it was necessary and as fremlinc said, it probably saved more lives than it destroyed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion: World War II   Discussion: World War II Empty

Back to top Go down

Discussion: World War II
Page 1 of 1